Today in the era of digital marketing, keywords plays crucial role in online marketing. They are very important for every business website as they drive targeted business traffic to your business.
What are Keywords?
Keywords are the most fundamental and significant element of digital marketing. They act like connectors for digital marketers that connect them to their audience or customers. The majority of people look for products and services online and the first thing they do is to type in their requirement in the search box and their typed requirement acts as a keyword phrase.
Importance of Keywords
Majority of people look for their products online and they depend on keywords and depend on search engine results pages before they make any purchase as they prefer first page or they don’t go beyond the first page to look for an options. Therefore, selecting a good keyword can help business to be on the first page on search engine and their website can drive traffic.
How Keywords work in PPC Advertisements?
In a PPC campaign, you pay Google however much you wish to have them list ads for your site at the top and right of the organic search listings. When someone clicks on your ad, you pay the current Cost Per Click (CPC) from your budget. In the process of displaying ads and attracting customers to your website, keywords stands in the centre as the keyword selection drives the consumers that will see your ads. Selecting a right keyword for the right ad will lead to a successful online business. Keywords are critical to your search campaigns. They are the queries that customer searches, so, a right keyword will help your customers reaching you.
Types of Keyword Match
While bidding on a keyword in your PPC campaigns, you need to choose a keyword match type, which tells Google how restrictively you want it to match your advertisements to keyword searches. There are five different match types to choose from when advertising with Google AdWords.
- BROAD MATCH: It is the default match type and by using this type your advertisement is eligible to appear on user’s search query which is related to your keyword through synonyms, misspellings, variations (such as colour, size, location), singular, plural etc.
- PHRASE MATCH In Phrase Match your advertisement is eligible only when the order of the query remain intact to the keyword and no words are inserted in the middle. Only variation to the phrase such as singular, plural and misspelling are allowed.
- EXACT MATCH: It is the most specific and restrictive match type. By using this match type user can see your ad only when they type your exact keyword phrase by itself.
- BROAD MATCH MODIFIER: This match type is very similar to broad match type and the only exception is that the words with + sign before are compulsory and must be present in your search query for your Ad to trigger.
Few tips to be followed while selecting right keyword:
- While selecting your keyword make sure you find out right word or phrase that are relevant to your product. It helps audience to find out about your business when they will search for that product or service. While selecting a keyword ask yourself ” Does your keyword really matches with what your business does” ?
- Search well about the volume of your selected keyword before finalising it. There are number of free and paid keyword research tools which help you see approximate search volumes for each keyword and as well as the competition with that keyword i.e how many other websites are using that keyword.
- Put yourself in place of your clients or customers and think how they would search for you, rather than how you want to be found for.
- Keep an eye on your competitors and check the number of advertisers bidding on each keyword relative to all keywords across Google for the location and targeted set.
- Understand the approximate cost per click you might pay if you bid on a keyword.
- Use keyword planner.
What is Keyword Planner?
Keyword planner is a free AdWords tool for a new and experienced advertisers to search to helpful keyword ideas. Keyword Planner lay the groundwork for successful campaign. This tool is compatible in 7 languages (English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Russian).
Benefits of Keyword Planner
- Discover new keywords: Keyword planner starts by searching words and phrases related to your product and services. It works to find the keywords that are most relevant to your business which you can then choose to add to your plan.
- Compare keywords trends : Keyword planner suggests bid estimates and it helps you see how often keywords are searched and how their search volume changes over the period of time. Through this tool you can narrow down your keyword list and set your budget for the keywords you really want.
What are Negative Keywords?
Negative keywords are the type of keywords that prevents your ad being triggered by a certain word or phrase. Your ads aren’t shown to anyone who is searching for that phrase. This is also known as a negative match. While traditional keywords trigger your ads to display for relevant searches, negative keywords prevents your ads from being triggered. The search networks will know not to show your ad for anyone searching a phrase that contains your negative keyword. For example: When you add “information” to your list of negative keywords then any person who will search for information about your product will not see your advertisement. There are people who search for items before buying the product, so these keywords help you avoid the clicks from those customers as you are paying for every click you get. You can add any word or phrase as a negative keyword that to think can lead unwanted clicks to your ad and therefore an unnecessary spending.
It is very important to make online marketing strategy and selecting a keyword that will help them make their business success as a wrong keyword can damage your brand value.
Photo Credits: Digital Vidya Media Library